1) Today: Monmouth & Ocean Co. Dems NJ CD-4 Democratic Candidates’ Debate, Tues. Feb. 13, at 6pm – Ocean Township Senior Center, 615 W Park Ave Oakhurst, NJ. Details and RSVP here, http://www.monmouthdems.org/cd4_dem_debate
2) Tomorrow: Rally at Rep. Smith’s Freehold office for love of country and democracy – with songs, and Valentine cards to fill with heartfelt messages and requests for action. Wed. Feb. 14 at 4-5pm, 112 Village Center Drive Freehold, NJ. Please share, https://www.facebook.com/events/573362603000325/
3) Indivisible NJ4 Meet the Candidate Night – Thurs. Feb. 22 with Josh Welle. Please share and register here:
4) Indivisible NJ4 group member working meeting this Thurs. Feb. 15 at 7pm. Monmouth County Library Shrewsbury Branch, 1001 Rt. 35 in Shrewsbury. https://www.facebook.com/events/519133381820661/?ti=icl
5) Indivisible NJ4 uses Google Docs for planning and secure information sharing. Join us at our training session where will be presenting a hands-on demo of the basics of Google Docs. Bring your laptop or tablet if you can. Training runs from 6-7pm just prior the next Indivisible NJ4 meeting which begins at 7pm. Thurs. Feb. 15, at the Monmouth County Library Shrewsbury Branch.
BONUS ACTION: Take action against Trump’s proposal to open 90% of US coasts to offshore drilling. Submit your comment through the link below to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) to tell them to keep oil rigs away from our coasts! https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0101303&id=7010Z000001P7cYQAS&ddi=N18ASAFB05&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=offshore_comments
CALL TOPIC: With Trump’s arbitrary March 5 deadline to end DACA approaching, Congress needs to pass meaningful relief for Dreamers, but they should not be used as a bargaining chip to advance Trump’s racist policies.
CALL SCRIPT 1:
1) Let’s call Congressman Smith’s office in D.C. at 202-225-3765…
Caller: Hello, I am a constituent of Rep. Smith’s; may I speak with the staffer who handles immigration?
I wanted to tell the Congressman to demand a resolution of the DACA issue and immigration overall. The Congressman should stand with those calling on Speaker Ryan to bring DACA and immigration to the floor as McConnell has agreed to do in the Senate. I strongly urge the Congressman to cosponsor and publicly support a clean Dream Act now, without attachment of Trump’s demands for massive, unnecessary spending on border security to the bill. When a DACA bill comes up for a vote, I ask the Congressman to vote to permanently protect Dreamers from deportation and oppose cutting down on family reunification, asylum seekers and work visas. I also ask the Congressman to vote against more money going towards ICE, Border Patrol or the border wall.
It is unfair and immoral for Trump to use to use the lives of hundreds of thousands of young DACA recipients as bargaining chips to score political gains.
And just ONE more thing. Since the Congressman has been in NJ fundraising, how about having a town hall so he can listen to his constituents. Thank you.
FYI: If the staffer tries to throw the RAC Act bill at you as a solution for Dreamers, you can state your dissatisfaction. The downsides are the age, educational and employment restrictions.
2)Let’s call our Senators (Booker D.C. 202-224-3224, Newark 973-639-8700; Menendez D.C. 202-224-4744, Newark 973-645-3030)…
Caller: Hello, I am a constituent of the Senator’s; may I speak with the staffer who handles immigration?
I wanted to tell the Senator to continue to demand a resolution of the DACA issue and immigration overall. With passage of the deal made concerning the budget, immigration may stall or be tabled indefinitely. I urge the Senator to ensure that does not happen. Please ask the Senator to exert public pressure on Leader McConnell to fulfill his promise of a DACA vote in the Senate this week. I strongly support a clean Dream Act, without attachment of Trump’s demands for massive, unnecessary spending on border security to the bill. I ask the Senator to stay strong against attempts to cut down family reunification, asylum seekers and work visas, and against more money towards ICE, Border Patrol or the border wall. Thank you.
If you have a personal story to relate to this issue, and are comfortable sharing it, please do – our elected officials want to hear how their policies affect our lives!
Caller best practices:
Rep. Chris Smith – http://chrissmith.house.gov/contact/
Senator Cory Booker – https://www.booker.senate.gov (scroll to bottom)
Senator Bob Menendez – https://www.menendez.senate.gov/contact
State of NJ reps – http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/municipalities.asp
NJ Governor’s Office – 609-292-6000
Study up on the issues: https://www.grbwomensinitiative.org/resources/
“Congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” – 1st Amendment to the US Constitution