It’s Congressional Recess week, so we will pause our daily calls to action after today’s suggested actions for the week. Please continue to contact our MOC of your own volition.
1) Tomorrow, Wednesday Feb. 21: Gun Safety Rally at Rep. Smith’s Freehold Office- 112 Village Center Drive in the Raintree Shopping Center. Please lend your voice in calling on Rep. Smith to demand Congress pass common sense gun laws NOW, and share with friends!
2) This Thursday Feb. 22: Indivisible NJ4 Meet the Candidate Night with Josh Welle. Please share and register here:
3) Outraged about gun violence? Please mark your calendar to attend our area’s Moms Demand Action meeting on March 14th at 7PM in Spring Lake, https://northeast-moms.ngpvanhost.com/ngpvanforms/8413
BONUS ACTION: Take action against Trump’s proposal to open 90% of US coasts to offshore drilling. Submit your comment through the link below to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) to tell them to keep oil rigs away from our coasts! Deadline to submit comments is March 9!
CALL TOPIC: Congress must take action to prevent acts of gun violence by passing sensible gun control legislation!
1) Let’s call Congressman Smith’s office in D.C. at 202-225-3765…
Caller: Hello, I am a constituent of Rep. Smith’s; may I speak with the staffer who handles gun issues?
I am outraged by the mass shooting in Florida, and the 18 school shootings which have occurred in the first 45 days of this year. It is not enough to just condemn this act of terror; I implore Rep. Smith to support responsible policies that help prevent these acts of gun violence. Rep. Smith should cosponsor the following legislation and publicly pressure Congressional leadership to bring sensible gun control legislation up for a vote:
(choose from bills below or list all, and it’s fine to simply state the bill # without explaining the content, since the staffer will only be tallying if you support/oppose the bill)
1. H.R.3999 – to ban the use and sale of bump stocks, which effectively circumvent restrictions on automatic weapons
2. H.R.3464 – Background Check Completion Act, which closes a loophole that allows a gun sale if a background check is not completed after 72 hours, even if the buyer is not legally allowed to purchase a gun. (This loophole was used by Dylann Roof to purchase the gun he used to kill nine people at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC.)
3. H.R.3987 – Protecting Americans from Gun Violence Act, which is a far-reaching and comprehensive bill that closes private sale and online sale loopholes, implements uniform background checks, funds research into gun deaths, and provides funding for police training and mental health care resources.
4. H.R. 4434 – Fix NICS Act to strengthen the FBI’s existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) with improvements to the reporting of records into the NICS to make it a more effective system for stopping dangerous individuals from purchasing firearms.
Please also tell Congressman Smith that I have pledged never to vote for anyone who accepts even $1 from the NRA or other gun lobbies.
And just ONE more thing. Since the Congressman has been in NJ fundraising, and this week is Congressional Recess, why isn’t he holding a town hall so he can listen to his constituents? Thank you.
2)Let’s call our Senators (Booker D.C. 202-224-3224, Newark 973-639-8700; Menendez D.C. 202-224-4744, Newark 973-645-3030)…
Caller: Hello, I am a constituent of the Senator’s; may I speak with the staffer who handles gun issues?
I am outraged by the mass shooting in Florida. I thank the Senator for calling on Congress to act. Please ask the Senator to maintain pressure on Congressional leadership to bring sensible gun control legislation up for a vote.
Additionally, I want the Senator to cosponsor S.2135, the Fix NICS Act to strengthen the FBI’s existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System to make it a more effective system for stopping dangerous individuals from purchasing firearms.
I also want the Senator to vote AGAINST S.446, The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which would endanger law enforcement and civilians. Will the Senator reject the proposed combination of the Fix NICS bill with the Concealed Carry Reciprocity bill? Thank you.
(Our Senators have both already cosponsored S.1916 to ban the use and sale of bump stocks, S.2095 Assault Weapons Ban and S.1923 the Background Check Completion Act, so you can thank them if you wish.)
h/t Indivisible Nation BK https://www.facebook.com/oneindivisiblenation/…
Caller best practices:
Rep. Chris Smith – http://chrissmith.house.gov/contact/
Senator Cory Booker – https://www.booker.senate.gov (scroll to bottom)
Senator Bob Menendez – https://www.menendez.senate.gov/contact
State of NJ reps – http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/municipalities.asp
NJ Governor’s Office – 609-292-6000
Study up on the issues: https://www.grbwomensinitiative.org/resources/
“Congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” – 1st Amendment to the US Constitution