1) Tomorrow, Wed. Feb. 28, 4-5pm – Rally at Rep. Smith’s Freehold Office- 112 Village Center Drive in the Raintree Shopping Center. Topics: gun safety legislation, DACA, Mueller investigation and more.
2) Tomorrow, Wed. Feb. 28, 10:30am-3pm in Trenton – Attend the NJ State Assembly Judiciary Committee Hearing on 7 gun bills, including A1217, the Extreme Risk Protection Order bill. More info & RSVP: https://northeast-moms.ngpvanhost.com/ngpvanforms/10298
3)Outraged about gun violence? Attend our area’s Moms Demand Action meeting on March 14th at 7PM in Spring Lake, https://northeast-moms.ngpvanhost.com/ngpvanforms/8413
BONUS ACTION: Take action against Trump’s proposal to open 90% of US coasts to offshore drilling. Deadline is a March 9 to submit your comment through the link below to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) to tell them to keep oil rigs away from our coasts!
CALL TOPIC: Congress must take action to prevent acts of gun violence by passing sensible gun control legislation!
1) Let’s call Congressman Smith’s office in D.C. at 202-225-3765…
Caller: Hello, I am a constituent of Rep. Smith’s; may I speak with the staffer who handles gun issues?
I am calling because it is not enough to just condemn acts of gun violence; I implore Rep. Smith to support responsible policies that help prevent these acts of terror. Rep. Smith should cosponsor the following legislation and publicly pressure Congressional leadership to bring sensible gun control legislation up for a vote:
(choose from bills below or list all, and it’s fine to simply state the bill # without explaining the content, since the staffer will only be tallying if you support/oppose the bill)
1. Rep. David Cicilline’s Assault Weapons Ban bill (newly introduced in the House, bill # not yet available).
2. H.R.3999 – to ban the use and sale of bump stocks, which effectively circumvent restrictions on automatic weapons.
3. H.R.3464 – Background Check Completion Act, which closes a loophole that allows a gun sale if a background check is not completed after 72 hours, even if the buyer is not legally allowed to purchase a gun. (This loophole was used by Dylann Roof to purchase the gun he used to kill nine people at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC.)
4. H.R.3987 – Protecting Americans from Gun Violence Act, a comprehensive bill that closes private sale and online sale loopholes, implements uniform background checks, funds research into gun deaths, and provides funding for police training and mental health care resources.
5. H.R. 4434 – Fix NICS Act to strengthen the FBI’s existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) with improvements to the reporting of records into the NICS to make it a more effective system for stopping dangerous individuals from purchasing firearms.
In addition, I urge Rep. Smith to demand the removal of the Dickey Amendment from the next omnibus spending bill. The CDC must be permitted to study how gun violence affects Americans and how to decrease this violence. Thank you.
2)Let’s call our Senators (Booker D.C. 202-224-3224, Newark 973-639-8700; Menendez D.C. 202-224-4744, Newark 973-645-3030)…
Caller: Hello, I am a constituent of the Senator’s; may I speak with the staffer who handles gun issues?
I am calling to ask the Senator to maintain pressure on Congressional leadership to bring sensible gun control legislation up for a vote.
I want the Senator to cosponsor S.2135, the Fix NICS Act to strengthen the FBI’s existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System to make it a more effective system for stopping dangerous individuals from purchasing firearms.
I also want the Senator to vote AGAINST S.446, The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which would endanger law enforcement and civilians. Will the Senator reject the proposed combination of the Fix NICS bill with the Concealed Carry Reciprocity bill?
In addition, I urge the Senator to demand the removal of the Dickey Amendment from the next omnibus spending bill. The CDC must be permitted to study how gun violence affects Americans and how to decrease this violence. Thank you.
(Our Senators have both already cosponsored S.1916 to ban the use and sale of bump stocks, S.2095 Assault Weapons Ban, S.1923 the Background Check Completion Act, and S.2009 the Background Check Expansion Act, so you can thank them if you wish.)
h/t Indivisible Nation BK https://www.facebook.com/oneindivisiblenation/?hc_ref=ARRISK5QbpZAQUqvhdNoVC9E5W6t_LHKw2BKOeUCPuL_ylyFbf6FWrA1Nk9ml8WAoKk&fref=nf
Caller best practices:
Rep. Chris Smith – http://chrissmith.house.gov/contact/
Senator Cory Booker – https://www.booker.senate.gov (scroll to bottom)
Senator Bob Menendez – https://www.menendez.senate.gov/contact
Comment directly to your NJ State Legislators: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/SelectMun.asp
Comment directly to Governor Murphy: http://nj.gov/governor/contact/
Comment directly to the NJ State Attorney General: http://www.state.nj.us/lps/contactus.htm
State of NJ reps – http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/municipalities.asp
NJ Governor’s Office – 609-292-6000
Study up on the issues: https://www.grbwomensinitiative.org/resources/
“Congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” – 1st Amendment to the US Constitution